Media Program Officer China (Based in Beijing)
Jun 5, 2020
The Media Program Officer will serve a public health program of the Tobacco-Free Kids Action Fund (TFKAF)’s Beijing Representative Office: Road Safety. TFKAF is a leading civil society organization dedicated to the fight to reduce tobacco use and its deadly toll in the United States and around the world. It also seeks to build advocacy capacity to advance broader public health goals, such as promoting road safety and cardiovascular health.
The Media Program Officer will be responsible for providing technical communications support to partners and grantees in China, coordinating grantee activities to ensure program effectiveness and synergy, and participating in relevant meetings and local events. Qualified candidates will understand and have proven experience with policy development or policy promotion, and will be a strategic partner to grantees, partners, and funders in promoting road safety. S/he will serve as both strategist and consultant to TFKAF on the ground to achieve the communications objectives and further the policy advocacy goals. This position requires constant communication with the TFKAF Program Officer, partners and grantees in China and coordination with grantees’ media or communications officers. The position will be based in Beijing and will report to the TFKAF Head of Office in Beijing and the Regional Advocacy Director Asia in Washington DC.
The ideal Media PO will have communications experience working with the government of China (national and subnational levels), and understand the policy-making process. The candidate will ideally have a background in journalism, communications and /or public health or public policy; and the proven ability to develop and work in partnership with multiple stakeholders. This is a full-time position (20 to 22 days each month for 12 months) and will be based in Beijing.
- Develop, implement, and support media advocacy and communications strategies in partnership with TFKAF partners in China;
- Enhance the ability of partners on the ground to conduct effective communications and media advocacy activities;
- Develop and implement methods to increase the capacity of the media to report on road safety, including salons, journalism workshops, fellowships and other programs;
- Assess the media landscape, capacity, and opportunity in China and leverage that analysis in partnership with the China team and staff in Washington DC;
- Draft, edit and/or oversee production of press releases, reports, brochures and other communications materials as needed;
- Collaborate with road safety Program Officer of TFKAF in Beijing and Washington DC-based team and partners to efficiently and creatively craft and implement media and communications strategies in support of the policy goals;
- Support lead advocacy coordinator as requested in coordinating advocacy efforts by TFKAF partners to support the adoption and implementation of effective road safety policies;
- Support and work closely with Beijing based Program Officer as requested to stay on top of the social, political and economic environments that may affect road safety policies, and supporting Program Officer in conducting and/or
- Assist in the preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual reports; assist in responding to other donor requests and inquiries.
- Perform other duties as directed by Regional Advocacy Director Asia.
QUALIFICATIONS OF THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The Media Advocacy Coordinator should be experienced in the use of traditional media and social media as a component of campaigns to advocate for policy change and implementation. S/he will possess demonstrated experience in training and supporting others to successfully utilize the media and other communications channels or vehicles as a component of policy advocacy campaigns. The ideal candidate will possess many of the following professional and personal abilities, attributes, and experiences:
- Bachelor (at minimum) or Master’s degree (preferred) in communications, journalism or other related degree with international focus highly desirable.
- Significant level of proficiency in written and spoken English and Mandarin.
- Proven experience using the traditional and social media as a tool for policy change with a deep understanding of the elements of both campaign development and implementation paired with ability to leverage the power of civil society to achieve policy change goals.
- Keen ability to assess and identify the areas for increased capacity and provide technical assistance and/or training as needed.
- Minimum 5 years’ relevant experience in strategic communications, media relations, public relations, consulting or advocacy campaigns, and
- Strong program or project management experience. Fine attention to details, and ability to deliver project goals in a timely fashion.
To apply for this position, please email a cover letter in English, including salary history, and attach your English resume to: email@example.com. Please reference code: MPO/China in your application.
The Tobacco-Free Kids Action Fund/Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids (TFK) is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes applications from individuals who will contribute to its diversity. No phone calls please.
The Tobacco-Free Kids Action Fund/Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids (TFK) is a leader in the fight to reduce tobacco use in the United States and around the world. By changing public attitudes and public policies on tobacco, TFK works to prevent kids from smoking, help smokers quit and protect everyone from secondhand smoke. A non-profit organization established in 1996, TFK works with a wide variety of organizational partners, including public health, medical, education, civic, corporate, youth and religious organizations. TFK does not accept any government or tobacco industry funding.